5.29.2008

Right now

(Okay so I just finished writing a marathon post! I guess I had a lot on my mind. So it may take a few minutes to read.)



Tanner is asleep and Courtney and Jake are at school and I have maybe a 1/2 hour of peace and quiet before all heck breaks loose. So, I was playing a mindless game on the computer (Bejeweled - totally a waste of time but I love the little noises it makes) and I was deep in thought, so I decided I would blog!



Porter comes home late tonight after 16 days of being gone - I can't wait!!!!! I was thinking about taking the kids to the airport about midnight and surprise him - but midnight? Seems a little late! He'd probably love it - but I would pay with onry (sp?) children for the next 3 days. Still might do it.



I just have to say I am so thankful for my family. I honestly don't know what I would do without them. I know people always say that - but I truly mean it. I was thinking I was getting pretty good at basically being a single mom - but it's only because I have great parents and a brother and sister-in-law who help me out a ton!

I'm sure my mom gets sick of me calling to see if she can take Tanner for an hour while I help in Jake's class or have some appointment - but if she's sick of it - she hasn't said anything to me and she's always happy to do it. Like yesterday, It was Courtney's bday and my dad took Tanner most of the day so I could get ready for her party and have the party with just the girls. Totally saved my day! They save my day on a weekly basis!



Just a cute side note- yesterday when my dad took Tanner this is what he said to my dad, "Papa, I have a plan. First, we are going to have a Creamie. Then, we will go plant flowers. Next, we will go on a bike ride then we will play basketball." Tanner had the whole day planned out, and they followed it exactly. At the end of the day, Tanner was so proud because they did his plan.



Thankfully, my boys love working with their grandpa and he's teaching them great things. Usually every week they help him weed his planters and do jobs around the yard. My boys live for it!!! He makes it so fun and is so patient with them, and of course throwing a baseball, playing hoops and a bike ride are usually involved!



So, Courtney turned 9 yesterday! 9????? How old does that make me feel. Way to old. I remember being that age and it doesn't feel like it was too long ago. She is way fun right now! Sometimes a little emotional - but hey she's a girl! She's my little helper - the boys 2nd mom. (Which can be good and bad!) She is almost 5 feet and wears a size 6 1/2 women's shoe. At least I can say she's 9 now -not 8 - because nobody believed me. She's a smart girl - she'll go far in life. Okay - I'm going to brag a little so if you don't want to hear it - just skip to the next paragraph- but I am so proud of her. She scored in the top 10% of the nation in 5/6 categories on the national Iowa test. Way to go Courtney pie!



So - for my sanity I am taking a quilting class every Tuesday night. I love it! I have the cutest babysitter come and I get to leave!!! I think when my quilting class is done - I am still going to have her come so I can do something for just me. Learn something new each week so my brain doesn't turn to mush. Anyone want to join me or know of any fun classes???? Or girls night every Tuesday?



Jake, Jake, Jake - he's my little superstar. He's so sweet and happy. Things roll off of him like butter - maybe that's just part of being a boy. (Do things even actually roll off butter?) Anyways, he's happy go lucky! He just wants a ball - baseball, soccer ball, basketball - and he's happy. If you want Jake to know that you love him, just spend an hour playing 1-on-1 with him! And sad but true - it happened (Emily you know what I'm talking about) -the other day, I reached for his hand - like always - and he dodged it, smiled a little embarrassed and asked me if he could just not hold my hand. :(



My Tanner boy had his last day of pre-school today! I can't believe it's been a whole year. He is my little angel. There could be nobody cooler to hang out with all day. I love it - every time we ride in the car, he asks me, "What do you want to talk about?" He loves to be a big boy and play with Courtney and Jake and their friends. He is also riding Jake's old bike with training wheels on. He could probably do it without them, but they are for my peace of mind. He also dribbles a ball like nobody's business!



So this was long and sentimental, but I haven't blogged one of these in a while. So if anyone made it all the way to the end - thanks for listening!

10 comments:

allison said...

So cute Steph, thanks for sharing about your kids, it wasn't too long and boring at all! That is so cute that Tanner always asks what you want to talk about, HOW SWEET IS THAT? You guys are such a cute family!

Louis and Alice said...

Your family is so blessed to have you too! You have such great kids because you are such a great mom! I hope you brought them to the airport, that is such a sweet thing to do! We missed you in Hawaii! Tell Court a happy belated birthday from us and that we are so proud of her! She is such a smart and beautiful girl!

Shana and Brandon said...

That was good to read. Your kids are growing up. It goes by way too fast! It will be good to read back on this someday to reminisce(sp?)

Jacqui said...

Wow! I loved that post. I have seen your dad out riding bikes with Tanner several times and they look like they are having an absolute ball. Happy b-day to Courtney! Can you believe it...9! I totally remember that age. Such drama at that age. ;) I am so with you on a weekly babysitter. I did that last summer during the day at least once/week for a couple of hours and it was HEAVEN. The only thing I ever did was run errands, but just doing that by myself was great. Enjoy your class.

Emily said...

You are a wonderful mom, just look at your kids. And your so lucky to have your family right there. Congrats to Courtney, what a genius she is. And Happy Birthday beautiful Courtney girl.

Lisa said...

I don't know how you do it with Porter being gone for so long at a time. Are you still working a shift here and there also? What you are doing is definitely admirable!

You are so lucky to have your parents live close, and that they make time for your kids. I wish we had that.

About Courtney being 9 - Heidi is only 3 1/2, and I already can't believe she's that old. I don't know what I'll do when she turns 9!! Crazy!

Ann Marie said...

Stephanie-
I hope you don't mind me checking out your blog! It is so cute, and was good for me to read a few posts to get to know you better..

I seriously want you to call me when you need a babysitter for Tanner. Christian loves to play, and they would entertain each other.
Please call me next time your in a jam. Or, even if you just need a break! SERIOUSLY~~ Call me!!

Anne said...

Hey it was so much fun to see you guys last weekend. It needs to be more often!

Kris Doman said...

Hey, thanks for the shoulder today in RS! I can be a basket case sometimes. My boy refused a kiss before school the other day... sigh.. it's a little bitter-sweet milestone, isn't it?

Nichole said...

Your kids are the sweetest! I loved reading all those fun things about them. Courtney sure is growing up isn't she!?! And the boys are just getting more handsome each day! And I 'd have to say your parents are so amazing!!! Hey I need to do that babysitter thing on a weekly basis! It would feel nice to have some "me" time!