1.10.2011

Quilting and Photography

This past year I have picked up 2 new hobbies. Quilting and photography. I finished my 1st quilt and I am about 1/2 way through my 2nd one. I love working with fabric - there are so many wonderful colors and designs. The possibilities are endless. I love seeing the progress you can make quickly - then it all comes together and it's so cool! You feel like you've actually accomplished something worthwhile and beautiful. You can lose yourself in motherhood - you work hard all day and at the end of it - sometimes it seems like all your left with is a messy house, ornery kids, laundry and dirty dishes to wash. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more important than motherhood, you just get faster results with quilting. Hopefully after 20 years of being a mother the results will be worthwhile and beautiful too.

My 2nd hobby I have worked on this past year is photography. Hopefully this one will be more than just a hobby. I've always loved taking pictures - been kind of known as the "family photographer" but I got a great camera and some great lenses and I LOVE IT!!! I'm always "armed" and ready with my camera - I think my kids wish I would just stick with quilting. So I've been taking classes at the U, reading tons of books and practicing all the time. The pictures below are from a field trip with one of my classes at Red Butte Gardens in Salt Lake City. There are so many of Courtney because we could bring one model and I brought her. It was kind of funny - she ended up being the model for the whole class because my teacher loved her. Anyways - here are some of the ones I really loved.

























This one of Court is my absolute favorite!
I've had so much fun with these 2 hobbies. I'm always open for suggestions and help - I know so many of you out there are pro at these things. But it's been a blast to find things that I love to do.


















11 comments:

Leo and Jill said...

Oh My goodness. Your photos are amazing.

Brit H. said...

Hey you! Long time no see! Or update for that matter! Ha ha. GREAT pics!! You need to teach me some things. I have a great camera, but haven't put in the time or effort to learn how to really shoot. Anyway, glad you are doing well! Awesome job!

allison said...

Steph! Welcome back! Your photography is so good, and I can't believe how grown up Courtney is, she is so beautiful! I want to see some of your quilting work, I bet it's gorgeous too! Oh, and seriously that long of natural labor??? You go girl. I was only in labor for 4 hours and about ready to die. Maybe I need Emily there for me the next time around too, she must have the magic about her.

Emily said...

Sooo gorgeous! How is the quilt coming along? We need some pics of that baby, and some pics of the one you just finished...

Emily said...

Oh PS- you need to update to the new blogger and make those pics X-Large.

Elizabeth said...

I can't wait to see more pictures! I have always wanted to get more into photography, it looks like you are doing an awesome job. I agree with the others, you should post some pictures of your quilts!

Ann Marie said...

Steph!!!
I was so excited to hear from you!
I have wondered what you are up to.

A new baby boy... quilting.. Photography? You are the amazing one my friend! :)

Your kids have grown so much. Courtney is beautiful. I can see why the whole class used her.
~ And your pictures are AMAZING.
So.. our family will have to sign up for a portrait with your made skills someday. :)

I need to put your blog on my reader so I don't miss your posts.
Keep them coming!
Show off your skills!

Jess said...

STEPH!!!
What an awesome surprise to have comments from you on my blog!!!! You really do exist still!!! I think you were the first one to tell me about blogging years ago. Guess what.....we will probably be in SLC in Feb to celebrate DJ turning 10.
great job on the two new hobbies! Photography is fun isn't it? A nice camera makes all the difference :)
I'll give you a call soon to see if we can connect this time!

Anne said...

Love the pics. Courtney's eyes are killer. Such a cute girl. I'm excited to see the new quilt...the one you got the stuff for for Christmas right??

Louis and Alice said...

Hello Ms. Photographer! I love the pix and your model is the best! Courtney is so beautiful! You and Porter better be watching out! Can't wait to see the quilt too! You are SUPER talented. and how do find the time??? You are superwoman!

Jacqui said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job! It doesn't hurt to have a gorgeous model, too. One that you created! :)